Thursday, June 09, 2011

Leaks

One of the joys of owning a home built 45 years ago is discovering all of the quirks and intricacies of the house. Or in other words, figuring out where it leaks.

Interestingly, this is also true of a new baby. (Although in Nadia's case, it's not so much the "where" as it is "when" and "on whom.")

Last night, Erin began giving the kids a bath in our upstairs bathroom. While she went about her business of filling the tub and stripping down the tots, I was directly below her in the utility room doing laundry. As she began running the water in the tub, I began to get wet.

I looked above me to see a steady stream of water coming through the ceiling. Nicht gut.

As it turns out, the valve that is supposed to divert water from the tub up to the shower head has instead decided to take a different path in life. If you don't divert the water to the shower, it dumps half of the water into the tub and the other half on the guy doing laundry. It's a laugh a minute.

So I have a call in to a plumber this morning to tackle the handful of minor plumbing projects that need to be done on the house. I'll feel better once we get the plumbing work finished. I'm fine to tear things up, but when it comes to plumbing, it seems like if you jack it up, it will turn on you and slowly destroy you and all of your stuff.

Now that I said it like that, it seems like there are some more parallels between plumbing and children than I originally thought.

No comments: