Saturday, May 06, 2023

 Wow... Three years since my last post?

A lot has happened... We've been to Spain and Costa Rica, among other places. I got older and slightly fatter. We had a car accident here or there. But mostly, my kids have grown up.




What I've discovered is that there's a lot my parents didn't pass along regarding parenting teenagers. Especially mobile teenagers. When I would approach my dad with plans for Friday night that didn't quite pass the sniff test, he'd say "That doesn't sound like a great idea." 

What he neglected to tell me is that NONE of it sounds like a good idea.

Teenage drivers going to the drive-in (!)... Black teenage son...  Bad parts of town... Blond teenage girls... Late night drive home...Ten people shoved in the car... 

But I try to make decisions that let Grant live his life and enjoy these years while still providing a modicum of safety as his guardian. As I make these parenting decisions, I know I jacked up by the amount of excitement he displays when I agree to his plans. In this particular case, I got a "YESSSSS!!!!" accompanied by a fist pump and him running like he was shot out of a cannon to report back to his friends.

In that moment, I knew I'd blown the parenting call.

But hopefully by 16, we've laid the groundwork and he has the good sense to stay safe. But like I remember my own parents saying, it's not him I worry about. It's the rest of humanity. Stay safe, y'all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Erin….I so understand - just having gone through this and still……
Parenting teens is not for the weak at heart! Emerging adults can be tough, but you know you’ve given them the tools…..we now have to trust that they will use them and make smart decisions!