Saturday, October 29, 2005

A Rose by Any Other Name

I know the day we hold our little girl is still months and months away, but believe it or not, before we travel, we have to have a name picked out for our little one.

As you can imagine, this has started a bit of a friendly war in the Hawkins' household.

Let's review what we have agreed upon at this date:

1. The name should be a girl name. Go figure.
2. Her last name will be Hawkins. Go figure.
3. We have decided to keep her Chinese name as her middle name. This name is, most likely, the one given to her by the orphanage, but we think it is important for her to have some connection to her heritage and her past. We will not know this name until we receive our referral packet, complete with pictures and a health exam.

Bret likes, and I mean he really likes it (and I am not kidding), the name Hannah Anna Hawkins. He think's it has a pretty sound. How am I supposed to have a serious conversation about the name of our daughter when my husband thinks Hannah Anna is a good option???? He also thought Hannah Barbara would be funny... what is a girl to do?

Names I like (and I don't want any feedback if you don't like them, but feel free to let us know the ones you like) (it's amazing to me how many people give you unsolicited opinions about names. I can say to a friend, "I like the name Grace," and for some reason, said friend feels the need to let me know that "she doesn't like that name and would never think of using it." Who asked you, anyway?)):

Grace
Gweneth (Gwen)
Anna
Lillian (Lily)
Julia
Olivia
Hannah
Ava
Sarah
Rachel
Laurel
Emma
Emily
Brooke

Now, don't those sound pretty. Anything is better than Hannah Anna.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, I realize you don't like unsolicited advice, but I think Rachel is just about the most gorgeous name in the world... tee hee. :)

Anonymous said...

I vote for Brooke, especially with your last name. Have fun as you finalize... three years later

I found your site after your referral and am having fun reading older posts and remembering our journey. You bring sense a sense of humor to what used to seem like a lot of work.

Kimberly
LID 3/21/06