Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Booty Call


Something happened at work yesterday (yes, my 31st birthday) that confirmed for me that I'm old--real old.

I was walking down a virtually empty hallway on the way to my office. In front of me, obviously tardy to class, walked two female students, neither of whom I have had in class. In their hands, they carried every type of Valentine's Day commodity known to man: candy, roses, stuffed bears.

Walking up behind these girls, I said it, and as it escaped my mouth, I knew it. I am old. No more denying it.

I said, “Wow, you girls sure have a lot of booty.”

That’s right… booty, as in “plunder taken.” But, let’s be honest, there’s another way to think about that word… a handcuffs in prison, sexual harassment lawsuit kind of way to think about that word.

Main Entry: booty
Variant(s): also boo•tie /'bü-tE/
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural booties
Etymology: dialect (African-American) booty, boody buttocks

So, happy birthday baby girl. Welcome to the official world of over the hill. However, I’m not going down without a fight. It’s to the world of the young for me.

I am going to, like, buy some deece CDs, and like, make my own myspace, and chill with my peeps. TTYL.

No comments: