Monday, June 12, 2006

Back to work...


And just like that, I'm back at work. The sun, sand, and relaxation replaced by my PC, a network having issues, and a pile of emails to respond to. It was noted by some people who read this blog that we might as well just go out to eat every night around home for a week and call it a vacation, and after reading our entries from Hilton Head, it does appear that all we did is sleep and eat. On further recollection, this is pretty accurate. Sleep, eat, beach, repeat. We did have a wonderful time though, and as is always inevitable following a vacation, part of me wishes I were still there.

The other thing Erin and I both experienced on this vacation was how much we want to get our family started as soon as possible. We've both worked through these past few years with all the ups and downs of not having children, but on this vacation more than ever before, I really longed to have kids around. I adore the time I spend with Erin on vacation, and I wouldn't trade that time for the world. But I think we both felt like kids would have made the experience that much more special. We were both constantly saying "Oh, that would be so much fun to experience with kids." There were kids everywhere...at the beach, at the restaurants, etc, and I'm sure that contributed to this feeling. But I also think that all the delays in our adoption and all the preparations that have gone into having a child, who it sometimes feels is never coming, really sort of came to a head with me in Hilton Head. We're both aware that when we do finally have kids, and we're both confident that our little Grace will arrive from China at some point, that our children will be the ones that God had planned for us all along. But it still isn't making the wait any easier...

Bret

No comments: