Tuesday, July 18, 2006

AC Update

For anyone who reads this that actually cares about the well being of myself and my lovely wife, the repairman was able to fix our air conditioner on the spot yesterday. It's back to finding excuses for why I smell so bad. Here's the rundown:

(All prices approximate.)

He unplugged a part and plugged a new one in -- $200.
(He did have to remove two screws first.)

He used my garden hose to clean off the coils -- $70.
("I realize this here unit sits in the grass up against your dryer vent, but you need to keep it free of grass and dryer lint." Thanks.)

He added a pound of refrigerant -- $100.

While almost $400 for a half hour of work does hurt, it does include a furnace cleaning this winter, and I really expected that it would end up costing more. And while I wasn't happy about spending ANY money on a four year old heating/cooling system (which has already chewed up one blower motor), the guy was on time, very nice, generally very helpful, and he didn't expose us to any unseemly body parts or odors. Broad Ripple Heating and Air Conditioning gets my vote.

Oh, and we washed all the sheets, towels, carpets, toilets, counter tops, and floors over at the inlaws house where we were camping. We also replaced their supply of Special K. I did eat a Klondike bar which had, at some point in its past, melted and refrozen and developed a nice culture of freezer burn, but since my inlaws probably "don't eat that crap" anyway, I'm not replacing it.

It sure is nice to be home.

1 comment:

Launce Newlove said...

It sounds like you got a great bargain on the repair of your AC there! You’re right – the price seems a little steep, but if it continues to run smoothly for a long time to come, then it was worth every dollar. My AC repairman recommended having the unit cleaned or refilled with Freon once every year to make the AC last longer, and I’ve followed that. My AC has been working fine for the past 6 or so years!