Monday, August 07, 2006

The Raccoons Have Arrived


I received another call from the wife this morning. There's really almost too many funny things to put all in one post, but I'll do my best to consolidate.

-- The first thing she said when I picked up the phone was, "I want to die." This was followed by, "What the hell was I thinking" and "I'm working on 3 hours of sleep and sh***y coffee."

-- "I've never heard anyone sing '100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall' and get past about 75, until the bus ride down. They perservered and finished it."

-- Apparently around 2am this morning, the raccoons arrived to join the camp. She quickly moved most of the food to the bus and put some of it on a pole in the middle of the campground. This didn't deter the raccoons -- they climbed the pole. Knowing Erin's imagination, they probably then began hurling the food at her from the pole.

-- Since one of the raccoons was "obviously rabid," Erin relocated to the floor of the bus to try to sleep, but apparently this was unsuccessful. She also commented that she sat there thinking that wolves were approaching all night, following the raccoon attack, but it turned out to be owls. (Somebody's mom didn't buy her one of those little spinning deals that makes the animal noises as a kid.)

Apparently they're reconfiguring the campground tonight, so she'll have a tent to sleep in. I was ordered to purchase a tent before heading down on Wednesday. She said that despite all of this, she's still glad she took the trip, and the kids are having a great time. I think she's just bluffing in an effort to convince me that she still likes camping, in hopes of us going someday. I'll not be tricked. Hopefully conditions will improve today, hinging primarily on whether Erin gets a nap soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please let your wife know that I feel her pain. Having done what she is doing for a living (teens on a wilderness camping excurision, 5 different trips with 20 or more 10-12 year olds for three days at a time, and countless families for a one night in the city camping experience every Sept. for four years) I am very familiar with what she is doing and how hard it can be. One trip I got a total of 2 hours of sleep over three days and the one kid prank called the cops while another passed out of an unknow heart condition.

I wish I would have known she was doing this I could have provided some helpful hints one of which being that the raccoons always win so just be prepared - crafty little buggers, and always Always bring your own tent/equip.

Have a great time! Hopefully the weather will be better. I am so jealous. Ever since the little one came along we have not been able to go camping or kayaking - I have done a little hiking but with the crazy hot weather we've been stuck indoors. I can't wait till she is a little older to take her camping.