Friday, September 29, 2006

Hong Kong Swan Song

...And so it comes to a close. My first trip to Asia will end tomorrow when I board a plane in Hong Kong for my return to the U.S. It's been fun, but I'll be a happy man when we touchdown in Chicago.

Today we walked around Hong Kong until my feet bled (seriously). This place is amazing, and it's such a stark contrast to mainland China. Getting off the ferry in Hong Kong this afternoon felt like we had stepped into New York when compared with Shenzhen. I knew very little about Hong Kong prior to this trip, but it is truly an amazing place. I have never seen such a vertical city. All of the buildings are stacked right on the coastlines of the various islands, and there are massive skyscrapers in view everywhere. I took loads of pictures, but I only will be able to post a few tonight.

Additionally, I'd like to treat everyone to a ride in a Shenzhen taxi from my office back toward the hotel. This was just a small snippet of what we experienced riding back and forth to work each day. I read an article in a Chinese paper which said that Shenzhen has installed traffic cameras to catch traffic offenses, and the most common offense was driving into oncoming traffic. Check out the video, and keep in mind that actually this was a very calm ride compared to others. Take note of the lack of stoplights at major intersections, as well as the way people just pull out in front of each other. This is just the norm... (You'll probably have to click on the big button in the center of the video twice for it to play.)



The rest of these are just a few of my pictures from walking around the Kowloon side of Hong Kong. I realize my ability to take a picture of a city scene at night is lacking, but I post it simply to give you an idea of how majestic Hong Kong really looks. It was truly striking at night.

















No comments: