Monday, January 22, 2007

Carribbean Dreamin' - Part One

It seems like it's been about 10 years ago, given all that has happened in the past week and a half, but Erin and I actually did go on a cruise a couple of weeks ago. Since Grant came along and we didn't get a proper blog entry about the cruise done, I thought I'd put one up. I figure by this point in the entry, all of Grant's grandparents have stopped reading, so I'll generously make fun of them at some point later in the narrative.

Prior to departing from Miami, Erin and I spent several days in Florida, soaking up the Everglades and South Beach nightlife. Neither of us had ever been in south Florida, so it was great to see all the wildlife and nature crap. You don't know how many times Erin said, "Hmmm...I wonder what that animal (or plant or historical structure or discarded auto part) is. Sure wish Drew was here to enlighten us on what it is." (For those not in the know, my dad has the uncanny ability to identify all species of plant or animal at a moment's notice.) So in honor of my dad, here are my nature shots from the Everglades.

Here are a bunch of birds with long necks. (No, Erin isn't included in that description.)


Here are a bunch of alligators or crocodiles. I have no idea which.



Here are some trees on the beach. Could be palms, could be maples for all I know.



Here is a classic shot of a trash container, some Cubans and some art deco buildings in South Beach, Miami. Actually, the random people in this shot might not be Cuban, but if I were a bettin' man...


After departing Miami, I spent long hours contemplating how I would get back to land if Erin tossed me overboard.

I'll post part two later today...

No comments: