Tuesday, January 02, 2007

San Juan

Today we visited San Juan, Puerto Rico. We only got to see the old part of town, but what we saw, we really enjoyed. We hiked around the narrow, cobblestone city streets, and we took a hike up to the fort at El Morro. If you're in the mood to buy jewelry or maracas, San Juan is the place to be. The weather has been beautiful, and it made for a lovely day of sightseeing.

Last night, Erin made the decision to go to the "Not So Newly Wed Game" hosted by the cruise director. It was late in the evening, and frankly we didn't have anything else cooking, so I obliged. Well it's one thing to attend such a show, but it's another to put your name in the hat to potentially be a contestant. As the room filled up, I thought "Ok, fine, I'll put our name in. There are so many other people in here, what are the chances..."

"Our first lucky contestants are Bret..."

Crap. That's all I had to hear. Erin and I trudged up on stage as contestant number 1. I thought back to when we saw this show on our previous cruise, and fear began welling up inside me. Erin was very excited at the opportunity, but she soon learned. For anyone not familiar, the premise is that you take the guys out of the room and ask the remaining ladies questions. Then it's the job of the guys to reenter the room and give the same answers. This is followed by the ladies leaving and so on.

The guys left first, and as I reentered the room, I saw that the look on Erin's face had turned from excitement to terror. She left the room, and then the questions began. Questions no married couple should ever be posed in front of a room full of half drunk strangers. Multiple questions about anatomy. Questions about where babies come from. It was not pretty. "Double D's, Bob" was one of the answers I gave. I answered each question, but in my head I was just thinking, "How fast can we get out of here."

We ended up doing pretty well, but the experience was pretty traumatizing. We got a free frisbee and a water bottle. Good take, right? The unfortunate part of the task was that the studio audience was encouraged to shout something at each couple regarding their, um, personal habits during the rest of the cruise. This seemed ok at the time, as there were maybe 50 people in the room. No sweat. Then it hit me.

"And don't forget that we've taped tonight's game, and it will be airing in your cabin on channel 32 for the REST OF THE CRUISE."

Great.

Now everytime we get in an elevator or start into the buffet, someone yells something at us that is totally inappropriate. If the individual doesn't yell, they just snicker and stare. It's really awful. We've considered switching cruise lines in Antigua, or perhaps staying in San Juan. All I can hope is that this little experience will slow Erin from tossing our names in the hat so carelessly in the future. She does keep life interesting.

No comments: