Friday, January 26, 2007

Week 2 with Grant


There are a world of unknowns and unfamiliars regarding a new baby, but as Grant approaches his two week birthday, we are learning more and more about our son, what makes him tick, and what ticks him off.

What makes him tick 1: eating. Just a few days ago, I took him to the doctor to see if he regained his birth weight. The doctor wanted to see him back up to 7 lbs 15 ozs. In classic Grant overachiever fashion, he weighed in at 8 lbs, 5.5 ozs. The doctor's response: "exceptional weight gain." Let me tell you, that was the only time in my life that I have found those words exciting and endearing.

What makes him tick 2: sleeping. I guess this is a touchy arena for lots of newborns, but Grant, again in that overachiever fashion, is a champ. He sleeps constantly, and getting him to go to sleep is never an issue. We call him the narcoleptic baby because about mid-breath, he checks out. He'll sleep anywhere: his pack and play, his crib, his car seat, the floor, some random person's arms.

but

What ticks him off 1: being cold. Grant is most ticked off at life when he is cold. I nicknamed Grant my little South Beach baby because he should have been born in Miami. The most obvious time when Grant experiences the cold is during diaper and clothes changes. It is during these times that you realize that he actually has a set of lungs and isn’t afraid to use them. It is also during these times that Grant takes on baby nickname number two: the Trevi fountain. Named for the most famous of Roman fountains, Grant likes to make it clear to anyone changing him, usually Mommy, that he is all boy. Grant’s Daddy thinks that this Trevi fountain trick is hysterical; well, he thought it was funny until Grant pulled a Trevi on Daddy. Not so funny then.

What ticks him off 2: moving too slowly with his food. Bret has kidded me for years that I am the fastest eater he knows, and it’s true. I like my food hot (not warm), and so I tend to eat it up before it gets cold. Grant, like Mommy, eats with speed, and if you don’t have that bottle ready to go, he’ll let you know about it.

All in all, Grant is a dream. He is polite to company, easy on the eyes, and full of good humor. He is growing like a weed (that's what we say here in Indiana), and we couldn't be happier (except for Mommy who could use some sleep).

No comments: