Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Competitive Momma?

Over the last couple of weeks, I've overheard Erin singing to Grant at various times. Erin has a wide repertoire of show tunes and hymns that she could peel off (in stark contrast to the English pub singalongs which I serenade Grant with.) But I've noticed an interesting phenomenon in that she seems to select the same hymn nine times out of ten.

It all goes back to a couple of years ago when we visited with Erin's cousins out in California. They had an adorable new daughter with cute blond hair and enough personality, even as a baby, to light up the room. But she also had a talent that bordered on a superpower -- she could sing one particular hymn from beginning to end. Now I've seen kids sing, but this kid wasn't old enough to even be focusing or drooling with any distinction, but in actuality, she could not only sing this hymn but speak in more complete sentences than many Hoosiers. I'll never forget watching her -- "Jesus, name above all names. Beautiful Savior, Glorious Lord." Very cute. Also a tiny bit scary to those of us who are just finishing Hooked On Phonics.

Now that we have our own wunderkind, I can see it glowing in Erin's eyes. Grant will sing. Oh yes, he'll sing. And he will sing that hymn from cover to cover before he turns 12 months. She would never admit it if I asked her, but I fully expect to see Erin with a set of hymn flashcards before she heads to California this summer. I figure by that time, her cousin's daughter will be doing calculus and playing chess. Such is life in a competitive family...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! It's me, the Mama of the genious daughter ( : We check your blogs all the time BTW, and it was just too funny to hear about Lauren on it. I'm sure Grant's cuteness is going to blow us out of the water when we see him. Can't wait for your visit to Cali!...(Nate's Wife Christina)