Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Splish Splashin' in Swede Country

With our Door County, Wisconsin vacation now in full swagger, I thought I would give everyone a glimpse into life here in Door County:









































Yeah, that's right. It's pretty much wiiiiide open. You get to use your imagination a lot. You imagine going out for a charming breakfast at a sidewalk cafe, but what you actually get is a place with copious numbers of pancakes and goats on the roof. You imagine going for a stroll along a side street looking at small boutiques and coffee houses, but what you actually get is a coffee house called the Chocolate Chicken across the street from a BP station. You imagine a romantic candlelit dinner at a small bistro, but what you actually get instead of candlelight is this:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. It is relaxing, and I could dream about what the possibilities are with a "chocolate chicken," but let's just say that there ain't just a whole lot going on up in this neck of the woods.

The picture of the bubbling cauldron above was taken at our dinner at the Old Post Office in Ephraim, Wisconsin last evening. We went to a traditional Door County fish boil. The fish was very good, although I'm not yet sure of the purpose of having everyone arrive early to watch the pot boil. I stunk like I'd worked at Long John's for the rest of the night, and I had a fair amount of ash in my hair, but the fish was tasty, and most importantly, there was lots of it.

Prior to dinner yesterday, we took Grant out to the pool for his first swimming experience. You can see just how stylin' he was in his new swimmin' duds. It's so refreshing to see the lad smile so brightly, not yet aware enough to realize that chicks don't dig man boobs.

Grant was all excited about the swimming experience at first. He got to wear new shorts. He got to run around with no shirt on. He got to wear some kind of funky waterproof diaper (which I'm fairly sure was also being donned by some of the older patrons of the evening fish boil). He was all good until he got to the water, and then he wasn't too sure of what was going on.


After I got in with him and dunked him a few times, all was well. He truly enjoyed himself, and we were relieved to see that he was fearless in the water. He took offense to me saying that after putting his head under, he had "Al Sharpton Hair," but I'm sure he'll eventually forgive me.


All in all, the pool was a successful venture.

This morning, Erin and I left Grant with the grandparents and headed out for a hike at Cave Point Park on the Lake Michigan side of the county. We had seen it touted as "the highlight of a Door County vacation" so we were excited to see it.

Indeed, it was lovely, but you could walk from one end of the park to the other in approximately 3 minutes. I'm not saying it wasn't pretty. But I think it says something about a place when your competition is a pancake house with goats on the roof and some boiled whitefish.

After our hike around the park, we went to the Cana Island lighthouse for a look around. I took note on the stroll to the lighthouse that the wife had chosen her Mennonite garb for the day.

She assured me that these were "Gaucho pants" but I can't see Gaucho, Harpo or Karl wearing any such thing. Perhaps tonight we'll go for a ride on a covered wagon...or Erin can show us how to churn butter in those duds. In any case, I'm sure it'll be exciting.

No comments: