Saturday, October 13, 2007

Papaw

Dr. Richard Dale Hawkins
July 13, 1923 - October 12, 2007

Last night, my grandfather passed away due to cancer. Having grown up with all four of my grandparents as active parts of my life, it's hard for me to imagine even one of them not being around. We were fortunate to get this picture this summer (although I suspect it will leave Grant thankful to not have the Hawkins nose and chin).

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts on this later, but for now, I'm just relieved that he doesn't have to struggle any longer. Our prayers go out to my grandmother, my dad, and his sisters and brother. Papaw was a larger than life figure, in many ways, and I will sorely miss him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathy said . . .
With the amazing respect you have for your parents and grandparents it would only be natural that you would be the great dad that you are! So sorry for your lose . . . you are in our prayers!