Sunday, December 16, 2007

One Gift a Year

Bret and I have taken some serious heat over the years (primarily in the form of Aunt Barb) regarding our "one gift a year rule."

That's right. Bret and I only get each other one gift a year: a Christmas ornament. At birthdays, we go out for a great dinner, a concert, a movie. For our anniversary, the same. We do give each other cards on birthdays and anniversaries, and they are among the sweetest keepsakes I have.

We go on great vacations, sometimes multiple trips a year. But, gifts, just one. Wrapped in paper. With a bow.

And here's the absolute truth: we wouldn't want it any other way. I don't want to toss Bret's present to me out in the Goodwill bag in five years. I don't want to ever forget what he got me. I can get a sweater from anybody. I can buy one myself. But... a personalized ornament that Bret picked out for me to commomorate our year together... it can't be topped. If we had a fire, those ornaments would be the first non-people things I would grab.

We've had our share of flub ups with the ornaments, but that is what makes it so cute.

So, in honor of our time honored tradition (this will be our sixth year together), I will showcase our ornaments in the coming days (and I'll post our newest ornaments once we open them up on Christmas Eve). You can vote on your favorite:)

We'll add a third new ornament this year to the tree: one for baby Grant. That photo will come later.

Here is the first set of ornaments from about two months after we were engaged (year 2001):

This is the one I got Bret




This is the one Bret got me:


It's the sweetest of traditions.

2 comments:

christina said...

so cute...great idea

Anonymous said...

...and every year when she puts this particular ornament on the tree, I have to hear "Ohhh...pretty cocky to put 'first Christmas as a family' when I hadn't actually signed the paperwork. The wedding wasn't until June!"

As if she was really going anywhere...