Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"Table for one plus Godzilla, please"

Tonight I had dinner in a Japanese restaurant here in the heart of Special Economic Zone China. I had to remove my shoes as I entered, which was a first for me. I tremble at the thought of walking anywhere in China in socked feet, but I made it across the restaurant without my feet dissolving or turning black. I did have to excuse myself midway through dinner to use the restroom, and I wasn't about to head to the toilet in socked feet. I don't know if I broke a custom or not by putting my shoes back on, but I'd sooner relieve myself under the table than venture into an Asian toilet in my socks.

And while I'm on the topic of feet, do you know the looks you get when you go into a Japanese restaurant in China with a gentleman who is 6'4" and wears a SIZE 15 shoe? The villagers were definitely looking for their torches.

No comments: