Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Clothing Modifications

First off, let me breeze through the updates on what's been happening around our house the past week or so. We've all been sick, in one way or another, but that appears to be lifting. The perpetual snot trail streaking from Grant's nose to cheek appears to have receded, and Erin and I are both pretty much over our colds as well.

The only other item of note is that I played chicken with a snow plow on an icy road. (Hence my "Impacted a non-moveable object" comment previously. Apparently to an insurance adjustor, the Earth is a non-moveable object. Seems reasonable.) I veered off the road to avoid hitting the plow, and as I returned to the roadway, I slid across the opposite lane into a ditch. It was a harrowing few moments, but it only tore up the front of my car and not me, so all is well. My car drives a bit like a bike with a bent wheel now, but hopefully that will soon be repaired.

Now to the point of this entry. This morning as I was folding our laundry (which is my assigned task around our house), I took note of a pair of Erin's sweat pants that she frequently wears while cleaning, bathing Grant, cooking, writing "thank you" notes , feeding Grant, feeding me, etc (all of which are HER assigned tasks around our house). This particular pair of sweats has, for no apparent reason, the cuffs at the bottom of the legs cut off. And they weren't cutoff cleanly. They were cutoff using a steak knife or sharp rock, leaving them looking like a wardrobe piece from The Flintstones. When Erin wears this pair of sweats, I frequently think to myself, "Oooh, baby." Actually, no, I'm lying. I usually think "Why is she wearing sweats that look like leftovers from Gilligan's Island?"

Even more interesting is that this sort of wardrobe modification is common in Erin World. She has a white blouse that she frequently wears under sweaters which has the sleeves torn off in a similar fashion. Without the sweater, she looks a bit like Bowzer from Sha Na Na.

While we were dating, she went through a phase where she wore overalls frequently -- not the full length kind, rather the kind that are actually shorts. They were cute, although I must admit, I eventually tired of them. At some point, I noticed she always wore a sweat shirt with the overalls. I inquired as to why, and she showed me that the top half of the overalls had been removed, leaving only the shorts. Except that the shorts had no waistband, since they were meant to hang from the top portion of the overalls. What was left was simply two legs and a raggedy, hand carved ring around the top.

To this day, I have no idea why these things happen with Erin. I love her all the same, but it does lead me to wonder whether we need to make more frequent trips to the mall.

3 comments:

carol said...

I think you're gonna be in trouble for this post!

Katherine said...

All I can say is that Erin is her own person - and you gotta love her for it ( and her creative clothes altering). Famous clothes designers have nothing on Erin!
Love ya - Kathy

Anonymous said...

...so many thoughts came to mind as i read your post...so many visuals...of so many attire choices...i remember the eddie bauer corduroy capris getting a lot of mileage...and the white gap sleep tank...no matter the ensemble, the thing i remember mostest and bestest is the tender love & care AND the laughter...i love you, gunst!