Friday, March 07, 2008

Cousin Stalkers

I've already admitted that I have a problem.

Truth be told, I have about 15 blogs I check with some (read: daily) frequency. In our amish-no-cable-on-a-strict-budget household, I find myself wandering from one blog to another. I don't surf randomly. Rather, it starts like this: I check a blog of a relative or close friend. Let's say I visit my cousin's blog (Holdridge Clan: it has to be scary how many hits you have from Indiana, huh?). I read; I watch a video; I laugh or smirk. But then, if I've got five minutes on my hands, I'll start viewing the blogs he has listed of his friends. I don't check his friends' blogs with any regularity, but they do pass the time from time to time. I don't know his friends, have never met them, but about every three months or so, I stumble upon their pages and catch up with anything I find interesting (who knew there was a Gap Baby Model Search Grant could have won).

But, admitting that I'm a major nerd-stalker is not the purpose of this post.

You see, this last Christmas, we were all hanging out with Bret's family down in Bedford (you always have to say "down in" when you refer to Bedford; that's a rule in my book about Southern Indiana I'll write some day). Grant and I were playing in the corner, when I heard the following statement come out of one of Bret's relatives (you know who you are... but you'll remain nameless for now): "Yeah, it was funny how he called her belly a torpedo. She is so little, so she's all baby." I thought that sounded familiar. But then, I heard, "and those girls, they are just too cute. Violet and Lauren, what great names."

It was at that moment that I realized I wasn't alone in blog stalking geekdom. Bret's family members were talking about my family members, and somehow this crazy thing called the internet had made the world a little bit smaller.

So, I've got a new blog to add to my list. My other cousin couple--Bryna and Riley--also have these adorable, pinchable kids, and they've just decided to join the blog world. Like the Holdridge Clan, they also live out in gorgeous Monterey, California, and yes, like the Holdridge Clan, they are beautiful, beautiful people (inside and out). Though, they are all really good looking out there, huh? I totally got shafted on the good genes.

So for our friends and family out there who frequent our blog, there's a new link in our list of people you should visit. We'll talk about them (in a good way) over Easter dinner. Bryna and Riley's Blog

10 comments:

bryna said...

Hey! You can stalk us all you want (: I'll confess Im always on your blog too..we often talk about how hilarious they are...
cant wait to see you guys this summer!!! We love you guys so much (cant believe we havnt met Grant yet!!) its just not right.
Bryna

christina said...

seriously, ONLY 15 blogs to keep up with? I think I'm already in the 20's. I had to unsubscribe to one the other day because I realized I knew WAY TOO MUCH about these old friends I hadn't seen in 10 years because I found their blog.

I don't often stalk, but I do keep up on everyone constantly. The iPhone let's me do just that in all kinds of interesting places (i.e. the john). By the way, do you happen to know who the Davidson family is? They commented on our blog the other day, but I'm not sure we know them. When looking at their blog they only have 3 families linked - us, you, and another couple I don't know. Any clues?

nate said...

i actually just checked our stats. over 1400 hits since we opened up shop directly from your site. that's 14% of our traffic. wow.

your blog is basically our dinner conversation, so there.

christina said...

Just so everyone knows, I Christina don't have an iphone that I use to check blogs while I'm going to the bathroom. The comment posted referring to such things on "the john" was actually my dear husband Nate. (yes he commented twice)

side of fries said...

Christina:

1. I'm glad to hear you don't take high tech, costly hand held devices into the bathroom with you. We do have computer yahtzee, but that's about how we roll in the hawkins household.

2. davidson? no idea... tell me where they commented on your blog, and I'll check them out. Maybe I do know them from church, and I'm just not making the connection. I'm old or tired... or both. Kind of strange.

3. Can't wait to see all of you in JUNE!! I can't wait to see June in June. Just had to do it.

christina said...

Erin-
Nate deleted the Davidson comment (just seemed kinda weird) but... if you really want to check out who's listing you as a link check out jamesandkatherine.blogspot.com. I'm sure there is a perfectly good explanation as to why someone neither of us know is linking both of us on their blog. Maybe you'll discover it. Do I sound a bit paranoid?

BTW We are totally looking forward to your visit too!

pam said...

I'm not sure if you are referring to me or Heidi about the Holdridge clan comment but I don't mind admitting I too am a stalker. I live with 3 guys, I need some girl antics every now and again. By the way, I have some new blogs I need to share with you! See you guys soon.

Katherine said...

At last we have a blog, too! And yes we are the Davidson's or soon will be! Along with some other fantastic news if you read our blog. I adore getting to know Nate and his family - wow - am I impressed with them. I think I threw them off with my comment, but I've been reading their blog for so long i felt like I knew them . . . and now I can read more about Bryna and her family as well. It means so much! Maybe you can let them in on who James and I are!
See you in May - Kathy

side of fries said...

Well, the mystery is solved. And what another great example of being able to keep up on really big news in your family!! The Davidsons aren't really the Davidsons... they're the David family (James and Kathy), but they're going to be adopting a sibling group... and so son... added to their name. Kathy, let's see, is Karin's niece... they live in Seal Beach, CA. Nathan probably doesn't remember them quite like I do, as I spent every glorious Christmas Eve with all of them. Some of my best (and most vivid) memories from childhood come from being with that whole clan!! So, there is the scoop.

christina said...

Sorry for the paranoid questions...who would have thought the mystery commenter was FAMILY! Sorry Katherine (: Feel free to comment any time! We'll now be keeping up with your blog too.