Monday, March 03, 2008

My Sheets

I've had it.

It's been a long running battle, and now I'm choosing to either cede defeat or at least try something completely new.

Since we've been married, Erin and I have battled over the sheets on our bed. We have a fundamental difference in philosophies. I like to sleep under sheets (like a normal human being) while Erin likes to wrap up in a comforter. This wouldn't seem like a huge dilema, but it is.

The problem is that in the past, Erin has placed normal king sized sheets over our bed, and then about 10 minutes after we go to bed, she throws her sheets off onto my head and snuggles up in her comforter. She's all snuggily while I'm suffucating trying to get half a set of king sized sheets off of my head.

We've tried numerous things. Her favorite solution is to simply start with her side of the sheets piled in the middle of the bed, but if I sleep on my back, as I frequently do, this leaves my left arm approximately a foot higher than the rest of my body, since it's resting on all her sheets. Her latest solution was to simply put the sheets only on my side of the bed, leaving her half of the sheets hanging off my side of the bed. This worked for one night, until the weight of the sheets on the floor pulled my sheets off and left me bare, laying in a freezing, shivering heap in my own bed.

I finally suggested this morning that it was perhaps time for me to buy my own house. Or at least a shed out back to sleep in.

Suggestions? Neither of us has slept well in five years. Something's gotta give.

2 comments:

pam said...

Why don't you buy a twin sized flat sheet for your side of the bed and Erin just not use a flat sheet. It's a win win, you get your sheet without all the extra material that Erin is not wanting and Erin gets to snuggle up in her comforter without a sheet. Thank me later for saving your marriage.

side of fries said...

This was actually suggested by another person as well. I think perhaps our next mattress purchase will be 2 twins instead of a king, and then we can "sheet" them individually.

Erin has repeatedly denied my requests for my own house, so this may have to do.