Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Back in Hong Kong waitin' fo the wife

So I've wandered my way back to Hong Kong, and now I'm clicking refresh endlessly on the Continental Airlines site, watching Erin's flight descend slowly over Russia towards China.

During this whole trip, I have been having trouble with my ears. It started on the plane when I was using my ear buds with my iPod, and I haven't been able to shake it ever since.

Last night hit a new low though. I lost all hearing in my left ear. I know, based on prior experience, that it's just a wax blockage (eww...I know), but it was HIGHLY irritating. I couldn't hear the cab drivers, I couldn't hear the young lady at the front desk of the hotel, and most importantly, I couldn't hear my iPod any longer.

So I meandered over to the local Walmart in Shenzhen last night, and I tried to explain to the staff there what I was encountering. The girl handed me a little vial covered in Mandarin writing and suggested I pour the contents into my skull. I immediately envisioned one side of my face melting off like that dude at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. So I declined.

Since I was so close to my return to Hong Kong, I decided to just endure it. Man, was it tough. I couldn't hear anything. So the first thing I did when I got to Hong Kong this afternoon was run to the local drugstore (Watsons -- a very Western pharmacy ala CVS or Walgreens) and grab a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. A few drops mixed with some water into my ear, 10 minutes, and voila. I can hear again.

Unfortunately this clearing took place, in part, in the lobby of my hotel. I couldn't quite check-in yet, so I had to wait in the lounge. I wanted to get my hearing back ASAP, so I dumped the solution into my ear while I waited. I then had to sit with my head tilted to one side. Eventually the desk clerk came in and told me my room was ready, and it was obvious that she was concerned about my well being since I spoke to her with my head tilted the entire time. I then boarded the elevator with another couple, head still tilted, and walked to my room. Only there did I turn my head to rinse out my ear. I'm pretty sure if I leave the room, I'll be apprehended.

Sure hope Erin gets here soon. I need some help.

No comments: