Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hong Kong, Day 2... and then the Border

With much cooler and breezier temps than expected, Bret and I headed out into Hong Kong this morning for some very touristy sightseeing. We only had a few hours, and the only thing we wanted to do for sure was grab some dim sum (long time readers know that we are gastro-tourists after all). We checked out Victoria Peak (one of the views from the top is pictured above), which Bret has visited before, checked out the harbor (which keeps moving as land is "added" [also pictured above]) and another shopping district (I think Hong Kong is a shoppers paradise) before heading to our very researched, very well regarded dim sum place. The place was gorgeous and expensive, and we were thrilled.

But, this is where being a fat white tourist in capris and teva sandels doesn't really pay off. We were originally taken in by one hostess... only to be told by another, after a thorough once over, that there was no room at the inn. Disappointed, we headed for a posh-but-willing-to-accept-the-likes-of-us Italian bistro.

After lunch, we headed for the border, which was a painless process. We're in Shenzhen now, and after two harrowing cab rides (which I have learned are not problematic if you do not, under any circumstances, look out the front window), we had some dinner at a local Japanese eatery. The food was yummy, and afterwards, we walked around a very western-looking mall. We're back in the hotel, as I am absolutely exhaused (I mean... REALLY exhausted).

I've realized today that sometimes it is okay just to play the tourist. Usually when I travel, I like to blend in, be local, and eat, stay and play with the locals. But today, in the steamy heat (yes, my glasses fogged up when the morning breeze stopped) of afternoon, Starbucks looked like a great option. I don't want to eat at Pizza Hut or KFC (and most certainly not McDonalds), but don't come between a tired woman and her coffee. Because in the end, I don't blend in anyway here in China.

Tomorrow, we head to Bret's work to go to lunch with his work buddies, and there's a big new spa down the road, so I might just end up getting a massage (or two).

We meet Grace in just a few days, and we couldn't be more excited! Grant, we miss you and love you tons!

2 comments:

Sherry A. said...

I'm reading your blog closely - thank you for sharing your journey with us. Can't wait to meet Grace!

Unknown said...

Erin - Hurry home! We are DYING to meet Miss Gracie!!!! Have a safe trip and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers!