Thursday, July 16, 2009

Password = Joke

We have several computers running Windows here at work, and following our move over the past few weeks, we've discovered that nobody knows the login passwords to these machines.

At our old building, these particular machines were never turned off, but we had to turn them off to move them. Once we got to our new site, we turned them on only to discover that the holder of the password left the company long ago.

So I set out to figure out how to deal with these things. My initial thought was that I'd have to put in new hard drives, install a new copy of Windows, and start from scratch, but I did a little Internet work, and here is what I discovered.

In under two minutes of searching, I was able to find a program claiming to remove the passwords for me, which I downloaded and burned on CD.

Two minutes later, I booted up with this CD, and approximately one minute later, I had removed the passwords on the first computer. You must be joking.

You mean to tell me that I have to create a new password every 3 minutes, and it has to be approximately 35 characters long and include at least 3 "x's" and all of these -- $*)ß↔íù at least once, only so any half wit with an Internet connection could come in with a CD and bypass it? Nice.

No comments: