Thursday, August 13, 2009

Our Final Day on the Mainland

Today at 2:45, we're heading to the U.S. Consulate to get Grace's visa and take an oath; then, we're off to the train station where we will hop a train to Hong Kong, crash for the night, only to get up at 4 am to leave for the airport. Somehow, by the grace of God, we will touch down in Indy on Friday night.

I don't know when I'll be back in China again, so there's part of me that feels sad about leaving Grace's homeland, but truth be told, I'm really ready to come home. I miss Grant so terribly, and after 18 days of hotels and restaurants, I'm ready to be home. We've enjoyed our time here, enjoyed the new friends we've met, and of course, beyond enjoyed adding Grace to our family. We hope to come back someday, and when we do, we hope to travel to little Tonguu, the village in the mountains. Grace will probably care more about her i-phone than China at that time, but we hope to instill in her a real love of the Chinese people and culture. Ultimately, she's a gift: a gift from China to us, but more importantly, a gfit from God. She's our precious daughter, and we love her so insatiably.

I'll leave a bunch of pictures from our trip (starting from the first night we received Grace), ones you have not yet seen. We don't know if we'll have internet access in Hong Kong, so if we don't, we'll catch you on the flip side.

Oh, and here's the rest of the advice:
Advice: Part III of III

17. Skype worked like a champ in Hong Kong, Nanchang and Guangzhou.

18. Don't fret about washing bottles and stuff. I boiled water in the hot pot, let the dirty stuff soak, and refilled. I brought dish soap and a bottle brush, and I haven't used them once. I figure if boiling water doesn't do the trick, we've got a bigger problem.

19. Buffets are buffets. If you're nervous about food in China, the morning buffets (which have been free everyday we've been here) are your friend… but not your best friend. You can get a good omelet, plenty of danishes (I lived off some great banana bread every day in Nanchang), cold and hot cereal, French toast or pancakes, all kinds of fruit, and some type of potato. Nothing is spectacular (except for the bread you toast at the Nanchang and the spicy noodles in Nanchang), but it'll get you through. There are plenty of other Chinese options, but like any buffet, it's a buffet. Don't expect greatness, but it's beyond adequate. The Victory Hotel buffet has been the hardest. I finally settled on the fact that it's toast and fruit at the Victory.


20. Don't stress the toys. Grace fiddled with the toys we brought (except the stacking cups which were a hit), but she can't get enough of the baby spoon, the empty Pringles can, or the pacifier she won't use.

21. Bring or buy when you get to China: shampoo and conditioner. The water is hard enough on your hair, and I was resolved to use the shampoo given to me, but I realize now that wasn't a good idea. First off, there is no conditioner, and I think the water is so hard that your hair needs the extra love. Then, the shampoo at the JinFeng smelled like marijuana. Nothing says, "I'm here to adopt a baby" like hash hair.


I continue to think fo more and more, but, I'll just leave it at this: if you have questions about China, Nanchang or Guangzhou, just ask...

4 comments:

Radloff ramblings said...

So would you sugguest the Victory Hotel?
What hotel did you use in Hong Kong?

bret said...

Erin may chime in here as well... We liked the space we had at the Victory. If you get a suite (around $90 US per night), you have two full rooms, which is a lifesaver when you want to use your laptop after bed time. The Internet is free at the Victory where it isn't at the White Swan. The only downsides are that the White Swan has, apparently, a very nice pool and much better breakfast buffet. We didn't use the pool at the Victory, and the breakfast was certainly adequate. I think we made the right call going to the Victory...just for the extra room.

bret said...

Oh, and as far as Hong Kong, we stayed at the Metropark Causeway Bay on the way in, and the Intercontinental Hong Kong on the way out. I had points for the Intercontinental, which is why we stayed there (it was VERY nice), and I like the location of the Metropark from previous stays. It's not the typical place to stay though, since it's sort of out of the way...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for toy info.

Kimberly
waiting for TA