Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Frugal Living: Update

A few of you are interested in the websites I use to get my killer deals (I just got back from a Walgreens run where I spent 17 bucks only to get back 19.50 Walgreens bucks for my next purchase... essentially, I earned 2.50!).

So, I do subscribe to The Grocery Game. It costs me 5 bucks a month (there's a free trial to start), and I just get the Kroger list. I still make one Walmart run a month because I like a juice I can only find there, and I think Walmart's generic baby wipes are the absolute best; I don't care if I get free baby wipes someplace else; I don't mess around when it comes to baby wipes.

I also use the following websites to compile my Walgreens and CVS runs. Both of these sites are free and tell you what to buy and what coupons to use for the best deals. You'll also find info about everything: from free Redbox movies (like every week) to killer Amazon deals.
Southern Savers
Frugal Coupon Living

I could use these other sites (or many, many others like them) for my Kroger stuff, BUT... I like that the Grocery Game list tells me, based on its extensive history database, what to buy and when. Something might be on sale, and I might have a coupon, but the Grocery Game list tells me to hold off until later. I'm sure in a few years (or months... at this rate), I won't need someone to tell me that, but I like someone just telling me what to do right now.

I've made a ton of rookie mistakes in the last month, and I've had many a moment where I realized I was "that woman" at the checkout line (like today when I squabbled (politely, mind you) with the Kmart clerk about my extra 5 dollar off coupon) who has the clerk run a few price checks, has a PILE of coupons, and asks about rain checks on items out of stock! But, today, when I walked out of Walgreens with 17 bucks worth of free stuff, I was one happy girl--a geeky happy girl, but a a happy girl nonetheless.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Love to hear about your good deals! I've not been to the websites you go to, but will definitely check them out. moneysavingmom is the one I use the most. I use CVS more than Walgreens, but have done some good deals at Walgreens in the past. I've heard of the Grocery Game, but not tried it. I should, b/c I am definitely still a rookie and spend too much time compiling my list and going through ads! Sometimes, I make the rookie mistake of getting all the "deals" and forgetting to buy meat! Oops! It's encouraging to know other women are "that woman!"