Sunday, October 04, 2009

Busch Gardens


This morning we got up and made our way over to Busch Gardens. We came because a) they have a new Sesame Street section for the kids b) they have a "Lunch With Elmo" buffet and c) Erin is a total junkie for amusement parks. She can pass it off as "for the kids," but truth be told, she gets as much out of it as they do. And as long as the weather is as gorgeous as it was today and the crowds as low, I'm good with it as well.

The first stop upon arrival was the "height measurement wristband" center, which I will refer to from now on as the "Dream Crusher ride." Child after child started their big day by being told just how many rides they would be unable to ride due to stature and handed back to their parents, sobbing, to begin the rides.

As Grant approached the height measurement, I noticed that it was going to be a close call. As he jumped up to be measured, squirming and ready to go, the guy slapped an orange wristband on him -- the death sentence. The "you might as well be a suckling infant, 'cause you ain't riding squat" band. I tried to get Grant to stand up straight, go on his tip toes, etc, but no go. So we headed off to Sesame Street land to ride the smallest, most meager rides.

As we approached Sesame Street, I saw the small roller coaster for the kid section. We walked up, and I immediately saw that it took the band one level higher than the dreaded orange wristband. Erin quickly tore off the wristband, and I put Grant in line to be measured by another worker, but she saw our deception. She informed us it was a no-go, but then she let him go ahead and be measured.

She began taking his measurement, and it was quickly apparent that Grant had learned something in the previous 15 minutes. He immediately began trying to get on his tip toes, but she kept telling him that wouldn't work. She then sighed and said, "It looks like he JUST BARELY makes the red wristband. Here you go." Score. Crisis averted. On to the roller coaster.

As expected, Grant had a wonderful time riding everything he could. And Erin and I got a chance to go on the bigger rides by alternating watching the kids, so all was good. We had a great time.

We also had a great time at the "Lunch With Elmo" although I nearly made myself ill on the "hot dog and chicken finger" buffet. I figured if I was going to sit through those songs, I was going to do it with bad buffet food coming out my ears. The kids loved watching all the characters sing and dance, and we got to take pictures with several characters. Grace even blew her first kiss to Oscar the Grouch.

My personal favorite character was "The Count." He came out and informed the audience that he had no friends to hang out with on Halloween because he keeps counting the candles, the cobwebs, the candy, etc. He even counted the number of friends who wouldn't hang out with him! I leaned over to Erin and said, "Can you say O-C-D?" Methinks The Count needs to seek out an SSRI and some therapy.

After Busch Gardens, we came back to our condo, took a quick break, and then had a nice low key dinner at ZPizza. I've never had yams or raisins on a pizza, but it was very tasty. I don't know how it will blend with the Cookie Monster cupcakes, but only time will tell.

After dinner, Grace kept us entertained with her developing walking skills. It was a big night -- she took four steps on her own! It's pretty apparent to me that she'll be running all over the place very shortly. Grant had better watch out.

Tomorrow I think we're venturing out to Colonial Williamsburg. As we left Busch Gardens, I said to the kids, "Tomorrow the fun will REALLY begin! Historic sites! Period costumes! No rides! No electricity even!" Should be a blast!



No comments: