Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Making Money

So, I'm in the coupon/discount/how-can-I-get-it-for-free world pretty deep, and for the last week, I have been a member of expo tv, and it's so easy that it shouldn't be legal.

In the last six days, I have earned enough points for 30 dollars in gift certificates (now to decide: amazon, itunes, or the practical, CVS). All you do is make a one minute video (once or twice a week) about a product (the good, the bad and the ugly). I was asked to review about six products, but I only had two at home (going out to buy a product defeats the purpose, for me), so I've reviewed a Vaseline lotion and a Pantene hair gel. I taped my two cents, and I uploaded my video (your first video alone earns you 2,000 points [it's 600 points needed for every 5 dollars in gift certificates]). I'm not saying it is completely effortless: you do have to take the video and upload it, but it's a pretty easy way to earn free stuff.

Now, I've even been chosen to participate in my fist tryology video. Tryology, a subsidiary of expotv, will mail me full samples (this one is a full sample of Gain detergent and Gain fabric softener); I try them for a week (keep them, of course) and do the video thing. It's easy. Sometimes, they even want you to try (and keep) GPS devices, blu-ray players and such. I guess a girl has got to start at the fabric softener and laundry detergent bottom before working her way up the market research ladder.

It's kind of addictive, and when I hit that "redeem" button for CVS (or, dare I say: Starbucks), I'll be feeling good about the ten minutes I spent giving my opinion (something I'm pretty good at anyway). It's all legit; it's just a new way of doing market research, and to be honest, I'll take this over a phone call any day of the week.

If interested, you should check it out here. I'm not trying to drum up my "numbers" or anything; I'm just trying to pass along a cool and easy way to spend five minutes of your downtime (which is about all I've got anymore).

I get why people don't do it: you have to see yourself in a video (one of my least favorite things), but I'm a sucker for free stuff, especially these days.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are awesome! Love your posts about saving money. Thanks for sharing all your cool finds! I'll have to check out your reviews. I've always appreciated your opinions!

DivaMom said...

Thanks, I'll try it! Do you also know about Surveyspot.com and e-rewards.com? I like e-rewards better because you earn credit each time you take a survey. You can use your credits for gift cards, airline/hotel miles, mag subs, and more. Surveyspot, however, sometimes pays cash for surveys. You also sometimes get to try products in your home.

Alison said...

I'll have to check this out! Thanks for the tip.