Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Pains

As has been well documented on this blog, I am continuing to have problems with my lower back, a problem exacerbated by my toddlers who insist on abusing me at every possible juncture.

On Friday, I was lying on the family room floor, trying desperately to get my back to loosen up enough to get to work.  The pain was akin to driving a screwdriver into the lower left side of my back, resulting in pain radiating around my waist and down my left leg.  It was not good.

Grant has begun mimicking me as I do my stretches, and he frequently tells people that his back is hurting.  It's cute, and it brings me joy.  Grace, on the other hand, does not yet understand that daddy lying on the floor does not mean it is playtime.  Therefore on Friday morning, she took the opportunity to toddle into the room and drop, full weight, onto my pelvis.  I explained to my children that these were tears of joy, and I couldn't wait to spend Christmas with them.  I think they bought it, and I'm sure I'll regain the feeling in my toes eventually.

On Sunday, having gradually recovered over the course of the weekend, I went to retrieve Grant from his car seat, only to find him staring distantly into space.  I kept trying to snap him out of it, but he just continued to stare, as though practicing for the stage production of "Awakenings." Finally he returned to normalcy, going instantly into hysterics, only to inform me that he was "pretending he was in a coma."  I have no idea.

No comments: