Monday, March 29, 2010

Weekend Sayings

Friday was sort of dreary in Central Indiana, with some light spring showers putting a gray haze over everything. At breakfast, Erin opened the curtains revealing this situation, which Grant immediately declared "Boooooring."

This weekend we took it easy and tried to heal up from the various colds that have continued to plague our family. We watched the basketball games, continuing to cheer for the Butler Bulldogs and favorite Brownsburg son, Gordon Hayward.

Last night, I stopped and picked up Papa John's pizza on my way home from the gym. (Nothing says "dedication" like ordering an extra large pizza on your cell phone while toweling off the elliptical machine.)

When I got home with it, I immediately tore into the garlic butter and bread sticks. I realize that the garlic butter is a bad way to go in social situations, but in the privacy of my own home, I indulge. A little while later, Grant crawled up into my lap and immediately said, "Daddy, what's that terrible smell in your mouth?" Thanks.

Finally last night, Erin was giving Grant a bear hug before bed, requiring him to buy his way out of it by "saying what mommy wants to hear." I suggested several release phrases to Grant during this interaction, including "Fine...I'll clean your stupid van out myself!" and "I'll put the seat up in the middle of the night next time, I promise!" But Grant decided to choose his own path.

He started with "Go Bulldogs!" which he learned during the ballgames. He then tried "Go Colts!" And finally, he landed on "I love you!" in exasperation. There's nothing quite like strangling the affection from your child.

This morning, Grant informed us that he was excited to go back to day care, having spent the last week with mommy on spring break. He then told us that he planned to continue teaching the other children the "savages song" from Pocahontas. Click here to see the lyrics. Perhaps this isn't the song we want Grant teaching other children outside of the context of the film......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you watch 30 Rock, you will get this reference...but when I read the lyrics to the song I almost started "lizzing!" Thank you for sharing this! peace.

MissMuffet said...

I don't even know carter, but I am so with him/her. I started crying as I read those lyrics. You guys are hilarious, all of you!