Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Hike For Music

Today at lunch I decided to enjoy the 70-ish degree weather and walk up to my favorite music store in town -- Luna Music. I used to be a Luna regular when they had a location on the north side of town by my old office. Every Tuesday I'd race over, drop a fortune on six or seven CDs, and then retreat to the solitude of my car for the remainder of my lunch hour, covered in cellophane and those annoying stickers that they seal CDs with across the top.

Today's journey was more about the exercise than the music, but there were some used CDs that I could have gotten excited about if found. Unfortunately, I made two disappointing discoveries on today's trip. The first was that Google Maps informed me that Luna was only about a mile from my office, yet it felt like I'd made a Forrest Gump-ian trek across America to get there. Since I started my new job, the only thing I've spent less time on than this blog is working out. Both things need to change. The second discovery was that this particular Luna no longer sells used CDs. Drats. I can't fathom why anyone spends $15.00 a pop on music anymore.

Thus, the whole trip turned into a major disappointment for me. In addition to wearing myself out with a mile long walk, I also felt as though the journey might has well have ended in a pit full of typewriters and rotary phones. A store full of physical CDs containing music just felt so...90's. It was crazy. For a guy who used to buy CDs with a far greater regularity than food and clothing, it was disheartening. It was like walking into a room full of old friends, each of whom had been informed that they had a terminal illness -- in this case, complete obsolescence.

So after lunch I returned to my office and checked Amazon's Digital Music department and iTunes for the music I so desired, in this case, a new album by The Posies and a box set by Robyn Hitchcock. I'll probably order a physical copy of the Robyn Hitchcock set, because I still value the notes that come with that kind of a set. But for the new Posies album, I'll probably just snag it from iTunes. The times, they are a-changin'...

1 comment:

Katherine said...

I cannot attest to the need for more exercise, however I can definitely say that you need to spend more time dedicated to your blog - some of us folks out here need a good laugh more often