Monday, June 06, 2011

The Name Game


Yesterday was tough stuff. But, it ended well, and I think that's a good thing. Our birthmom is young (16) and shy, and it's been hard to kind of crack her shell, but I think I was able to do it last night as we sat around in her room watching TV and laughing. We talked about everything: from what I love about Bret (a long list) to foods I don't like (a short list).

And, then, she said it: Can we talk about the name thing? We had yet to name the baby as there has been some resistance. She admitted that she hated the name Naomi. And she said that while she thought it was special to have her first name as the baby's middle name, she didn't like that either.

Now, right now, that baby is her baby. She could name it the craziest of names because it is her choice. And, it's our prerogative to change it later at finalization if we want. But, here's the tricky part: we'd rather not have to change the name. Because, at the end of the day, our relationship with our birthmom is super important to us. And that's the beauty of domestic adoptions.

With Grant's adoption, his birthmom was a little older, a little less concerned about the name, a little more aware of the "end game," so to speak. But our birthmom REALLY cares about the name. It has been her biggest issue all along, and for months we have been dancing around the fact that she didn't like our selection.

And, to be honest, I was having some reservations about it myself. I LOVE the name Naomi. LOVE IT. But, every time I looked at that sweet baby, I'd think, "Is that right?" And, I never had those questions with Grant and Grace.

So, here it is the day we get discharged, and it will be--by all accounts--a hard day. It will be one of the most emotional days of our lives and for our birthmom as well. And, while we still don't have a name, we are getting really close. And, the birthmom is trying so hard to find one that works for all of us, as opposed to some of the more "unique" ones she had decided on long ago.

And, at the end of the day, what does it really matter? We're getting the greatest of gifts from this young girl, a girl we have come to love.

I'm so grateful for all my kids birth parents and foster parents. I'm thankful that they braved the hard road of pregnancy, filled with uncertainty. I'm thankful beyond measure that I get awesome responsibility and privilege to raise their children. These kids are twiced-loved, and their birth parents are heroic to me.

So, avid fan base (I know there is a least a grandparent or two out there), we'll let you know the whole new name soon...

6 comments:

Katherine said...

God knows her name and you will soon, too ( and it will be right for everyone!). You could just name her GORGEOUS - that's the only word I can think of when I see her pics!

Alison said...

You guys are amazing! I'm certain God will give everyone peace about her name, b/c Katherine's right, God already knows it!

Wizard's Mom said...

Congratulations!! I am a long time reader and a first time commenter!

You are strong and brave people and I just don't know that I would be able to go through the uncertainty that you are going through.

I thought she would have a G name.

bryna said...

She is beautiful!! Congrats you guys..will be praying for you guys, the baby and birthmom during this super emotional time~love you all so much, -Bryn

Shannon Norrie said...

How blessed you all are - I followed your blog when you were in China with Grace and found you today in an old "favorites" file. So glad I was able to see your happy news. Congratulations to all of you. Not sure how long you need to stay in MA but if you need anything while you are here please feel free to reach out - I am only about 30 minutes from where you are. Best Wishes - Shannon

one son+one daughter='s our happy ever after said...

OMG..congrats guys, she is sooooo Beautiful!!!!! I can not wait to meet her next month at the reunion! Praying for you all!!!