Monday, September 12, 2011

A New Found Freedom

Last spring, I thought Grant had given up naps. There was a two week stretch when he didn't nap--at all. We read, played games, frolicked outside, and just as I was getting used to having him all to myself during Grace's nap, he started napping again.

But, about two weeks ago, I decided he needed to give up his nap--for good (for the most part--he took a short nap just today, after all). Despite the fact that he was napping every afternoon, he was struggling to fall asleep at night, and I'd often find him singing to himself in hushed tones as I was heading to bed myself.

So, despite the temperamental afternoons we're now experiencing, I think he's getting better sleep without the naps, and I think this will help prep him for long kindergarten days next year (I HATE saying that out loud... it's an evil word: kindergarten [a.k.a.: stealer of children]).

And, while Grace still naps, her naps are far less important to her. Grace is never moody. Ever. She is super easy in the morning, waking up happy and cheerful. If she gets really tired, she'll just doze off for 15 minutes or so, and then, she's good to go. So, while our routine mostly means that she still naps in her bed, we don't have to feel so tied to being home.

Which is amazing!!!!!! I feel so much more freedom (I know it is short lived, as a newborn is on his or her way eventually), and it's just grand!

So, in honor of this new found freedom, we headed out during a rainy day last week to meet up with cousin Drew Michael for some bounce house fun. And after Grace caught a cat nap, we were off to the Children's Museum. It was a whirlwind fun day, one we could have never had before.

I think I could get used to more "run 'em ragged days" in the coming weeks!

Bounce House Fun




Children's Museum (again, I know)


No comments: