Monday, June 11, 2012

Quick FLA Update

I wanted to write up a quick note to let everyone know what's going on with us in Florida.  We're on a 10 day adventure to Orlando, mixing in a little bit of work, a lot of heat, and a whole lot of feeding Trent.

We started out in Kings Mountain, NC last week where I had some business to attend to.  We left Kings Mountain on Thursday and made our way to Savannah, GA for the evening.  Erin tracked down a great soul food restaurant called "Sisters of the New South."   It was pretty fabulous food, but everything was VERY heavy and sweet.  If I had eaten even one more shrimp or grit, I think one of my legs would have spontaneously fallen off on the floor.

We stayed in what looked online to be a decent Holiday Inn Express for the evening.  This turned out to be a mistake.  After working all evening, I crawled into bed to discover that the sheets and mattress were soaking wet.  In my OCD addled mind, I immediately decided that Andre the Giant had stayed in the room the prior night and simply relieved his giant bladder in the bed after a night at the pub.  I have no idea what the liquid was, but it smelled funky, and I'm pretty sure it burned my skin.

I complained, politely, to the front desk that I didn't enjoy sleeping in human waste any more than my infant son, and they gave me a new room down the hall.  Of course, Erin and the kids were already out, so they stayed in the Urine Zone while I made my way to the other room.  What a debacle.

We arrived in Orlando on Friday and took it pretty easy until Sunday.  We have our friends, the Zottis, with us, which the kids obviously love.  (Erin and I love it too, but Grant and Grace ADORE the Zotti girls).

On Sunday, our family headed out to Universal's Islands of Adventure.  We really thought that Grant and Grace would love the Marvel comics section, and even some of the Jurassic Park section.  Buzz.  It's all too old for them really.  The Spiderman ride scared the crap out of them, and after that, it was Dr. Seuss and bedtime stories only.  Employees told us not to do the Jurassic Park water ride, as that would further scar them.  Sheesh.

The day turned out to be a bust, but it was still great to hang out with the family all day.  This trip has really been my opportunity to bond with Trent, and it has been fantastic.  He's a funny little dude, and he's really starting to develop a lot of personality.  He occasionally giggles at me now when he pees in my face, and he's now awake for long stretches, which is fun. 

We spent the day today hanging out at the pool, and I fed Trent all of his 30 bottles for the day.  Having three kids is tiring, but we're loving it.  Erin has decided that Florida heat in the summer is not for her, so this may be the one time we come down here in the heat of summer.  Either way, I love having the family along for the business trip.  Makes me wish I had them along all the time...

No comments: