Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Free Stuff

It does not come as a surprise to those who know me (and probably those who don't) that I enjoy finding a good bargain.  I used to have a blog dedicated to the very idea.

Now, I mostly keep the savings stuff to myself, as I start to sound kind of crazy when I talk about it with those not quite like minded.  Yes, I get pretty jazzed walking out of CVS having only spent $12 for $97 worth of stuff, but talking about it makes me--well--come off as mental.

But, I do have to share the two easiest (EASIEST) progams for free or cheap stuff.  You never even have to leave your home.  I just feel bad keeping these to myself!

#1: Tryology
Tryology is an outcropping of ExpoTv, an online review site.  At Expo, you get a little less than $5 for almost every one minute review you post on their site.  Just this week, I posted a video about sunscreen and one about my favorite wine (anything from Stags Leap winery, if you're curious).

But, I think the most interesting part of ExpoTv is the division known as Tryology.  At Tryology, you are emailed short surveys, and if you are interested, you fill it out; if you're not, you delete it.  Most of these products are not available yet, and you're getting the option of "trying them first."

If selected, you try the item, you post a two minute video review... and you get to keep the item.  Last year, I received so many free items that I actually had to pay taxes!!!  Bret and I have received several high end electric razors, several electric toothbrushes, tons of toys, and even an outdoor shed! You probably get one or two emails a month, but hey, free is free.  Just today, this arrived, and I think I know one little girl who is going to give it 5 stars:



If you are interested in Tryology and/or Expo, check it out HERE.


#2 Office Max, Max Perks

Listen people. This one shouldn't be legal, but it is.  It's the fastest, cheapest and best program out there, in my opinion.  Essentially, almost every week, Office Max runs a series of items that qualify for 100% back in reward cash.  One week, it might be tape, scissors, labels and staplers.  The next week, it might be backpacks and paper.  The next: sharpies and dry erase markers.  I have a stash (and I mean A STASH) of free office supplies.  You are paying tax, but shipping is usually free (I have never paid it).

You can order two of each max perk item each week.  So, if a stapler is offered, you can get two of them.  If post its are offered, you can get two of those too.  What could you possibly need with two staplers and $147 in post it notes (yes, actual figure).  Well, I actually donate most of the items.  I send them to service men and women overseas, use them for Operation Christmas Child, send them as teachers' gifts throughout the year... well, you get the idea.  I realize that I spend $12 or so in tax on those post it notes, but I have enough post it notes to last a LIFETIME (well, maybe not the way Grace uses them), and I get to give them away!  It's a win-win for me!  So, every Monday morning or so, I pull up office max, type max perks in the search bar, make a few clicks, check out in one quick motion, and have it show up two days later.  It's a five minute process for LOADS of savings!

Now, you do have to pay for all the purchases for one quarter before you get that quarter's reward cash.  But, from then on, it's cyclical.  You pay for "this quarter's purchases" with "last quarter's reward cash."  And so on.  The first quarter just kind of stinks.

Oh, and I go through shopathome.com or ebates.com for more discounts.  This week, for example, I "spent" $240 at office max.  Of that $240 about $17 was tax, but I went through shopathome where I received $12 back.  So, I received $240 worth of office supplies for roughtly $5!  If you are not hooked up to some sort of online cash back system, you need to be.  Bret and I probably make about $500 a year from these two sites.  (We don't make a transaction without thinking about if we can do it online to get a rebate.  Okay, now I have shared THREE things... starting to get crazy up in here.)

Just to give you an idea, click HERE to see JUST SOME of what is available this week at Office Max.

Okay, that might be enough crazy for now.  Contact me with questions, and we can be crazy together!



No comments: