Friday, January 03, 2014

Year in Review

2014.  How did that happen?

I worked a lot this year.  I worked on our house.  I worked on our field.  I worked at work.  It was a good year for work.

It was also a good year for the kids.  I don't want to slight Grace or Trent in any way, but I think that perhaps Grant has changed the most this past year.  All semblance of "little boy" is pretty well gone now.  When he hits, he HITS.  When he runs, he RUNS.  When he jokes, he sounds like an idiot.  But isn't that how it works for a 7 year old?

This year will be another big one for us.  With any luck, we will finish out the house renovations (are they ever truly done?), Trent will become a real walking, talking human, and Grace will enter first grade.

But what of Erin and me?  I'm continually reminded that I married the right person, and I will continue to try and convince Erin that she did the same, often through her tears and uncharacteristic swearing.  We're a good match.

I will refrain from making any resolutions, because who are we kidding?  You either make the choice to work harder at something, or you choose stasis.  If I want to be healthier, I'll work harder at it.  If I want to be a better manager at work, I'll work harder at it.  If I want to be a better father and husband, I'll spend more money next Christmas.  But I don't think these are really "resolutions."  Just choices.

All in all, life is as it should be.  Perhaps I've finally found the "normal."  Perhaps I'm finally settling into the life that God set out before me, realizing that I've been given more than 99% of the people in the world have been given.  And maybe that's all I really need to focus on in 2014.  Anyone would be lucky to have my wife, kids, church, job and home.  So I remain thankful, and I wish you all the best in 2014 as well.

Cheers.

No comments: