Wednesday, September 17, 2014

We're alive...

We're sorry to be so quiet around here these days (Aunt Sue, this update is for you!), but things have been busy this year!  School started on July 31 (which I love), and our long fall break is right around the corner already!  I know some people hate that school starts so early, but with two weeks off during fall, Christmas and spring breaks, I'm a real convert.  Plus, to be honest, my kids are ready to go back after having two months off for summer!

So, into first and second grade they went!  And, the year is going swimmingly.






Grace

Grace is in first grade and has Grant's teacher from last year.  She loves school and her friends, and she is quite the social butterfly.  I used the think Grant was going to be my wild child, but truth be told, he made a huge left turn toward nerd, and my shy little Grace, as I used to think of her, is soooo confidant, soooo assured, sooo capable.  She loves art class and music class, and she's always been a good reader.  This year is the first year for actual tests, and she kind of thrives in that testing setting.  Grant doesn't like the pressure of being timed, but Grace is all over it like white on rice!

She's taking dance class again this year, and soon, she'll be taking an art class too!  As of right now, she wants to own a bakery that specializes in wedding cakes, and she spends a great deal of time drawing up her latest designs!


Grant
I was prepared for a hard start of the year for Grant, as he left the traditional second grade classroom behind in favor of a 2/3 high ability class.  We debated the move all spring, but in the end, we wanted him to be challenged.  Unfortunately, it means that he has recess and lunch with the third grade instead of the second grade, which means that all the friends he has made over the last two years are not at recess when he is--but it doesn't seem to bother him!  His work is much harder this year: essentially, he has skipped second grade math (he left first grade doing two number addition and is now expected to do four digits addition and subtraction and basic multiplication) and skipped second and third grade reading.  His spelling are words are hard (I confess, I often have to cheat when I correct his practice test), but he seems unfazed.  And, he loves school and loves that it isn't easy, and he does not seem too concerned when he does fail--which is a great thing!

Grant is in Boy Scouts again this year, and in November, he'll start back on the wrestling team.  He told me last night that he wants to be scientist or an inventor!


Trent


Sweet boy!  For the last few weeks, he has left my side at church and BSF, although reluctantly, without a tear.  Having a needy baby is new for me, but I am encouraged that he is making progress, albeit slowly.  He still has OT, but I am happy to say that he might not need it much longer.  His biggest sensory issue continues to be food, so a dietitian comes next week to help me with some ideas to put weight on the kid!  He has just started watching Thomas the Tank Engine and Bob the Builder, especially on Sunday nights when we have a sitter come to watch him!  He doesn't make it too long watching TV, but he loves the songs, and he sings them all day long.

As for fall, it's hard to believe that it is almost here!  The weather is starting to cool down, and we are entering my favorite time of year!

We'll try to better with our much neglected blog...

No comments: