Saturday, June 20, 2015

Different Worlds

Grant and Grace went to a Kid's Camp at the previously discussed Mormon church camp we stayed in up at Zion National Park.  While no doubt being indoctrinated, they made friends with another brother and sister who were the same general age.

The evening of the camp, we ran into these same kids at dinner in the mess hall.  I immediately knew there were going to be some problems when they all began discussing where they had been prior to arriving in Zion.

Grace:  "We went to Las Vegas before here."
Girl:  "Really?  So did we!"
Grace:  "Our hotel had 11 floors!  We stayed on floor 3!"

(Here's where things start turning...)

Girl:  "We stayed in a hotel where we had to pay for our inner tubes for the lazy river!"
Grace (confused):  "Really?  A lazy river?"
Girl:  "Yeah!  It was the Mandalay Bay!"

Ok, so we didn't stay at the Mandalay Bay, but we did stay at the Embassy Suites.  Not bad, right?  But the conversation continued.

Boy:  "We went to Cirque du Soleil last night!"
Grace:  "We visited the Goodwill and went to the real circus yesterday!"
Boy:  "Goodwill?"
Grace:  "Yeah...where we buy CLOTHES?"

(Duh, right?)

Grant:  "We're going to California next!  We flew into Los Angeles!"
Boy:  "We live in Irvine.  It's an hour to L.A., and we go there all the time."
Grant:  "What book series have you read?"

(Argh...we have to work on this with him.  I was praying the "What's your Lexile score?" wasn't next.)

Boy:  "I don't really read much."
Grant:  "Oh yeah?  I read all of the Harry Potter books in a month!"
Boy (starting to drift):  "Nice...The chicks will be drooling in their Lucky Charms over that..."

(Ok, so I'm editorializing a bit...)

Grace:  "What are you drinking?  My mom is letting me have a Coke tonight!"
Girl:  "My mom doesn't let us drink soda."
OC Mom in Background:  "Honey, do you want me to get you some steamed milk?"
Girl:  "My mom doesn't let us eat vegetables that aren't steamed in Dasani water."

(All true.)

Boy:  "We flew here in first class and rented a Range Rover!"
Grant:  "One time I asked the tooth ferry for some soap!"

And so on...Different.  Worlds.

No comments: