Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Eww

I went to the supermarket this evening to pickup some 'tussin for the still-ill-wife and some deli meat for lunch for the next couple of days. I approached the deli where a nice, young lady was busily helping another customer. The other customer was ordering enough thinly sliced meat to blanket a small city, therefore the girl behind the counter called for backup. When the backup meat slicing lady arrived, she was older, and she was suffering from some sort of skin disruption that had left her with open, bleeding sores on her arms. This alone was enough to send me into a spasm, but then the unthinkable happened. She got one plastic hand cover on with little trouble, but as she was putting the other hand into a glove, the palm on her first hand brushed over a sore, smearing the blood onto the outside palm of the glove. After she got the second glove on, she promptly dove her hand into the ham and pulled out a wad to fill my order. I shuddered. Then I froze. I couldn't eat it. No way. I said, "That's plenty." I then ran away from the deli, squealing like a small child. I quickly deposited the blood ham into a refrigerator in another part of the store and made my exit.

When I got home, I began to feel guilty about the whole thing. After consulting with my wife, who laughed hysterically through her flu symptoms at my tale, I called the store and explained that a deli employee was putting a little too much of herself into the sliced meat. The obviously grossed out store manager said she knew who I was referring to and that the situation would be taken care of.

Eww.

No comments: