Monday, August 21, 2006

State Fair


This weekend, Erin and I attended the 150th Indiana State Fair with her parents. This has become an annual event for us, and it always provides a few noteworthy moments. Here are some of the highlights for 2006.

1. My father-in-law gnawing on a turkey leg. And honey ice cream. And apple cider. And maple syrup.

2. Seeing the world's largest pig (which my mind promptly divides into strips of bacon.)

3. Discovering the existance of the International Federation of Competitive Eating. My membership forms are on their way. Horseback riding, basketball, swimming, walking...none of these play to my strengths. But this... "Brothers, I'm coming to join you."

4. Staring at swollen pig parts and having my mother-in-law ask me "Is that a boy or a girl?" I need to have a conversation with my grandfather, whose days on the farm could answer a lot of questions.

5. My wife's irritation with the fact that my hands never leave my pockets when walking through the animal barns. I don't need some sort of llama bacteria jumping onto my hands and then onto whatever food-on-a-stick I might purchase in the next few moments.

6. Walking through the little-girl-beauty-pagent area and having Erin declare that our daughter will make a fine lacrosse player or perhaps a rodeo clown -- never a pageant contestant...at least not at the age of six.

7. Having to make a decision between a cart advertising "Fried Vegetables" and another cart offering "Batter Dipped Ho-Hos." This is what truly makes the fair special. That and the smell.

And finally...

8. Stopping at Dairy Queen for Blizzards on the way home...because we just hadn't had enough to eat yet.

All in all, we had a great time, although I ate far below my usual quota of fried goods. Erin and I say we're going to start working out again, but it might have to wait until after my birthday and the Covered Bridge Festival. Until then, I need to stay at capacity.

No comments: