Thursday, August 31, 2006

Upcoming Events


I've spent the whole week preparing for a business trip to China. It was supposed to be two weeks starting the Tuesday after Labor Day, including a free weekend of leisure time in Hong Kong and a stay in a nice, modern hotel within walking distance of a bunch of Chinese and Western restaurants. And then, bam. No go. Another meeting next week derailed my voyage. Oh well. I'd much prefer to have Erin along on my first trip to China, and I'd be even happier if we came back with an extra passenger. I've been told I'll have to go in three weeks, but this is the third or fourth trip that has been scheduled and canceled underneath me, so I guess I'll believe it when I see it. And to think that I had already packed my "Chicken Feet in my Tummy are Yummy" bib.

The next couple of weeks will provide a host of eating opportunities for me to post about. This weekend provides a bit of a challenge to hit all of the events. There's the Rib America Festival downtown, which in addition to filling my ribs and barbeque sauce quota for the month, features current musical greats Hootie & The Blowfish, the Charlie Daniels Band, Ted Nugent, and REO Speedwagon. I guess Lee Hazlewood was booked for the weekend. There's also the 97.1 HANK FM (can you guess the format?) Sky Concert downtown -- your best chance all year to sit on the contaminated banks of the White River to watch fireworks. And finally, there's the 32nd Annual Oktoberfest in German Park. (Keep looking...ahem. There is a link to the Oktoberfest on that page somewhere...) This festival takes place right around the corner from where I grew up, yet I've never been. "All that does is block up Meridian Street for two weekends" was my mother's reaction to the idea of the inlaws, parents, and Erin and I all attending this year's festival, so that probably says something about why I've never been. And since I'll be in town next weekend, we'll be hitting the 33rd Annual Indianapolis Greek Festival. The website proudly states "Donate blood on August 29th, get a free gyro!" Sorry I missed that. Nothing says, "mmmm....gyro..." like bleeding.

So who says there's nothing to do in Indy (as long as you're willing to eat continuously or listen to Ted Nugent?) Additionally, as part of our commitment to providing only the finest useless content available on the web, I'm going to start occasionally throwing up a music review. With the purchase of the iPod, I've begun rediscovering a lot of music that I loved and forgot about, plus there's lots of good new stuff floating around as well, if you're willing to look. Erin will chime in with her thoughts on this as well, and she may even start putting some book ideas up. She reads as much as I listen (can you guess who's getting smarter versus who's getting dummer here?) so she always is giving book recommendations to somebody. In any case, I may put up a CD review here later day, if I get some time. Enjoy! (or Ignore!)

No comments: