Friday, September 08, 2006

Are we that boring?

Here's a quote (and a link!) to a current story in Wired:

"Creating your own blog is about as easy as creating your own urine, and you're about as likely to find someone else interested in it."

Sniffle.

Anyway, speaking of bodily fluids, Erin and I have resurrected going to the gym every night to make ourselves miserable (and hopefully eventually thinner) by running on the elliptical machines. We usually end up going at about the same time each night, and there's another gentlemen, who I'd guess to be in his early 60's, who also frequently is present at this same hour. Now I sweat when I workout, but it's a modest volume of perspiration, and the situation is easily remedied with a few gentle pats of a paper towel to my delicate features. This poor dude sweats like his skin is on fire and his glands are trying to put it out. It's ridiculous. He runs on the treadmills which are positioned directly in front of the elliptical machines, and I purposely avoid using the machine directly behind this guy because as he runs, there is sweat actually slinging off of his body, into the air, and eventually onto the machines behind him. He runs for a few minutes, then he hops off, heads for the paper towels, wipes himself down, and repeats. The machine is soaking wet, the carpet behind him is soaking wet, and most importantly, the poor dude on the elliptical machine behind him is, to some degree, soaking wet...IN HIS SWEAT. I can't take it. I'm absolutely sure that he's got SOMETHING in that sweat which is communicable. In any case, when he's done running, he spends about 20 minutes drying off the treadmill he uses, which I guess is a polite gesture. I wonder if this guy pees in bucketfulls as well? Or spits continuously? If I sweat as much as he does during a workout, I'd be shriveled up tighter than Maria Shriver's face by the end of the workout...

No comments: