Friday, September 08, 2006

My Chinese Television Debut!

So I'm sitting here quietly working (depending on your definition) when my grand-boss (the name given to my boss's boss) shows up and tells me that a film crew from a Chinese TV show will be around in a few minutes taking some shots of "the faces of engineering" within our company. In the two groups which sit next to each other, we have American, Chinese, Indian, Korean, Kentuckian, and Russian backgrounds represented, so they wanted shots of all of us working, happily, as a team. I thought it sounded interesting, so I sort of cleaned up my cubicle for the big event. About 30 seconds before they arrive, the grand-boss comes back to tell me he's going to stop specifically in my cube, so be prepared. No sweat. I took drama in high school, I'll be fine. I quickly moved a picture of Erin and me on our wedding day into a position where I knew it would be seen...(see honey, I'm trying to make you a star too.)

About 30 seconds later, he comes waltzing into my cube and starts asking questions, Chinese film crew in tow. I didn't know I'd be doing an interview. Oy.

"So, what are you doing?"

"Uh, I'm merging some code from (insert other manufacturers name here)."

(First gaffe...I don't suppose we were speaking loud enough for the audio to be used, but saying another manufacturers name during a special on OUR company was probably not high on the grand-boss's list of things to do.)

"So are you enjoying that?"

"Sure...It keeps me busy."

"How quickly can you finish?"

"Pretty quickly. I've done it a bunch of times."

After they finished with me, they did another segment with one of my coworkers. I thought I was off the hook until they returned and shot about 2 minutes of me busily doing nothing on my PC. They said afterwards that this is for a "very famous program in China" which is doing a special on our company. I expect my royalties to be arriving in the mail shortly.

No comments: