Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Seattle Cafe...now serving pig knuckles!

Tonight for dinner we visited the Seattle Cafe, a high end restaurant situated behind our hotel (and adjacent to the Dongua Park women's commercial enterprise district...if you catch my drift...) This "western style" steakhouse featured a wide array of steaks, as well as the aforementioned pork palms, various ox parts, and any number of delectable bird parts. I had a standard issue filet, which was actually quite good. I also had some French onion soup, which I'm fairly sure contained no onion, but who knows. A glass of red wine (Spanish, if I remember correctly...California reds were VERY expensive...) and all was well. The place was basically priced at American prices, so it was very pricey by Chinese standards.

After dinner, I took a stroll around the area surrounding my hotel. Here are a few night shots. I know that I'll be hearing, "That looks so nice" and "Yeah, really looks like you're roughing it" but trust me, it's still China.





I went in this very upscale department store (again, American prices), and the escalators all smelled like open sewers. A very nice store, but just not quite right.


My hotel is the tower in the background...


This sign was next to the sidewalk in the park on the way out of the hotel...Would someone like to hazard a guess as to what this means??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course, this means that together, you and I have the responsibility to take care of the forest. Otherwise, give a hoot!
My Chinese may be a little rough.
:)Carol