Sunday, March 11, 2007

Things I didn't know... sappy content to follow

There are a great many unknowns in the world. No amount of reading or prepping or chatting with others can prepare you for the reality when it comes. Babies are one such reality.

I read the books--lots of books. I talked with other moms. There are some things, though, that just come in the trying. This last weekend we went out with our dear friends from Chicago, Eric and Emily and their darling daughter, Kaya. Over dinner, Emily asked me, "So, what are some of things that you didn't expect?" I don't think I was ready to answer that question then, but after some thought, here are some unexpecteds:

1. I didn't know love like this was possible. I love Grant with a unique and an unquenchable love. Who knew that a love for a child could be so different from any other type of love?

2. I didn't think I would find his cry so endearing. He gets his bottom lip quivering and starts to wail. It's too cute. It's even cute at 3 am in the morning. That's when you know it's really cute.

3. I never thought that I would change outfits as often as Grant. We have tried everything: different formula, different bottles, different delivery methods, but there's no getting around the fact that our kids spits up like mad. He is freakin' Old Faithful. Just today, I have changed outfits three times; Grant has only changed outfits once. Smart kid.

4. I didn't realize that four hours of sleep would seem like a gift. I need sleep... just ask Bret. Prior to Grant, I would have said that I needed at least 7 hours of sleep to function, but, I can survive (and even be semi-productive) on less sleep than I thought. If I get four straight hours, I am in heaven.

5. I didn't realize that having a baby means open season for conversations and attempted touching by old ladies and Walmart cashiers the world over. Everyone wants to touch, to tickle, to pinch and to talk about Grant. Most of the time, it is wonderful. Sometimes, when I'm a tad bit sleep deprived (reference point #4), it's hard to muster the strength to be sooooo chatty.

6. I didn't think that I could love Bret more than I do, but seeing him be the world's best (seriously, I think the absolute best) father to Grant makes my heart melt for him in new ways.

7. I didn't think Grant would be so expressive. Bret and I (and the rest of our families) love the many expressions of Grant Hawkins. From his early days, Grant has been able to produce a wide array of looks--Blue Steel included. And because he is so expressive, he doesn't seem like a newborn. Here are a few:




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to eat him up!! can't wait to get my hands on him again!!!! love to all of you--

Anonymous said...

I want to eat him up!! can't wait to get my hands on him again!!!! love to all of you--

Anonymous said...

I want to eat him up!! can't wait to get my hands on him again!!!! love to all of you--

Anonymous said...

I want to eat him up!! can't wait to get my hands on him again!!!! love to all of you--