Saturday, September 29, 2007

We've Got Spirit, Yes We Do!

This week was homecoming week at school, and to be honest, homecoming week is a really fun week to be a teacher. Not only do I find a way to incorporate jeans (or better... running tights) into my daily costume, but it's fun to watch the kids go crazy dressing up, decorating, and having pep rallies. Granted, I am like one of two teachers who does dress up, so I guess that makes me that "crazy teacher," which is what I am going for anyway.

Homecoming was a very serious time "when I was growing up." My students start moaning when I start a sentence with "when I was growing up" because they know I'm going to launch into a "walk three miles in the rain" speech about how we did things back on the prairie.

Truth be told, though, homecoming was one thing we did right. We had HUGE floats (they had to be hauled by semi-trucks), we had parades, daily noon time rallies on the quad (my students... or all high schoolers from a place that actually experiences winter... don't even know what a quad is). And granted, my students do dress up and decorate a hallway (don't ask about the hallways), and I must admit that as the junior class moderator, I'm glad that I don't have to plan a big, big week, but sometimes, I do think they're missing out.

So, what was this week's attire: Monday, I pulled out a crazy outfit complete with my wedding veil for "what the heck are you wearing" day. I sported a farmer look on Tuesday for Hick Day (yes, I understand the irony of hick day in Indiana). Wednesday was class color day, which for faculty was denim. Thursday was class theme day, and the junior class (the one I'm in charge of this year) picked Spiderman (they had to pick a movie trilogy). Friday was school color day (maroon and gold), and I sported some supa' fly running tights and athletic shorts for that one.

I love homecoming. Even as a 32 year old adult. It makes me giddy to work in a high school.

Here's Grant sporting some school pride for his mama.

No comments: