Wednesday, October 31, 2007

getting dumber

I'm going to blame it on the fact that--for 9.5 months--I haven't had great sleep. Or much sleep. Or any sleep. That's my story.

Tonight my world came crashing in on me. For the first time since baby Grant arrived on the scene, I sat down with Bret to watch Jeopardy. Now, we don't watch Alex Trebek often, but whenever the classic gameshow is on, I can hold my weight. I used to be lightening fast with my answers, and I had a fairly large scope of questions with which I felt compotent.

Tonight, I was tounge-tied, my brain was exceptionally lethargic, and I couldn't answer even the most basic of questions. I scored a few questions out of the gemstones category, one out of fictional females, and one out of 17th century artists. Usually, I end with a fairly decent number count, but tonight, I walked away with about 5 correct answers.

Sad. I'm slipping. Bret was proud that he took the championship with a sweep of the "valley" category and the "missing vowels" category. He's never won before, so I'll give him his moment of glory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Stephen Hawking's wife has had similar feelings.

"Gimmie 'Dudes With Robot Voices for a hundred, Alex'"

nate said...

As a husband, I think I speak correctly when I mention that you cannot say "I'll give him his moment of glory," while also saying, "he's never won before." That's like saying, "he's really handsome...for an ape." It doesn't work like that, Erin.