Friday, December 14, 2007

Now what kind of music is that?

Everyone that knows me knows that I spent a great deal of my childhood with a Walkman in my hand and the largest set of earphones I could find on my head. Since high school I've gone to dozens of concerts and bought hundreds of CDs. With the advent of the iPod, I've finally gone completely digital, but I still listen to tons of music.

With that said, I'm always getting asked "Now what kind of music do you listen to?" I never really know how to answer that, but recently Blender did a review of "The 100 Greatest Indie-Rock Albums Ever". As I scrolled through the list, I realized that I own roughly half of the albums, and their #1 pick, Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted is one of my favorites. Also making the top ten were R.E.M.'s Murmur (mistakenly listed as "Mumu" on the site, and frequently cited by yours truly as my favorite album of all time), and albums by the Pixies, The Replacements, Velvet Underground, My Bloody Valentine, Big Star, and The Smiths, all of which are personal favorites.

So I guess this list is as representative of the "kind of music I listen to" as anything else. Although I suspect my wife and parents would still more simply classify it as "a racket."

No comments: