Thursday, December 13, 2007

Pacers Game

Last night I took my Asian work companions out for an Indiana Pacers ballgame. We got primo seats from work, ten rows up from the floor, and to complete the tourist package, we ate at the Hard Rock Cafe downtown.

The Pacers haven't been worth a lick this year, and to make matters worse, about half the team insists on spending each and every weeknight at seedy strip clubs getting shot at in their Rolls Royce's. In any case, I was still shocked when we arrived at the start of the game. I'm guessing more people attend those dog shows you see on Animal Planet than attended last night's ballgame. The official attendance was in the neighborhood of 10,000, but I'd bet that even that was high. You could have easily moved every person in the arena into the lowest level and still had free seats.

Our seats were positioned only a few feet from Larry Bird and the Pacer's ownership, and my local colleague and I wondered throughout the game if any of those guys are worried about the money being lost on concessions and such, not to mention the fact that the franchise itself has been watered down to a pretty dismal state.

The Asian guys still got a kick out of the game. I was impressed when one of them asked, "Where is Reggie Miller?" a few minutes into the game. I suspect many others in the stands felt that same sentiment. The game was against the Chicago Bulls, and each time the Bulls hit a bucket, my Chinese friend let out a loud "BOOOOO." It was entertaining.

They were also mesmerized by the various shows during the game, including a debut by some Pacemates in training. The show was broken into an "under 11" group, which was cute enough but a little disturbing. I'm fairly confident none of our kids will be joining this troupe, unless they can perform in burlap. The other group was ages 11-15, if I remember correctly. Their moves were far more disturbing, and I fully expected a "This portion of the show brought to you by Planned Parenthood" announcement.

Despite the lousy crowd, thugly team, and mediocre Hard Rock Cafe food, we still had a good time, and my colleagues will get to take a little piece of Indiana back with them to China and Japan. I offered them each a chunk of limestone as well, but didn't get any takers.

No comments: