Monday, January 28, 2008

Day Out with Grandma

This last Saturday, Grant and I headed out for multiple adventures with Grandma. Grant is a big Grandma fan, and it goes without saying that Grandma is a big (very, very big) Grant fan.

We first headed to Panera for a quick bite. Grant tasted some of my pumpkin muffin (to rave reviews) and blew kisses to Grandma throughout the whole morning. His gesture for blowing kisses looks a lot like (okay, identical) to his sign language sign for "thank you." But, in his mind, there is a distinct difference.

Blowing Kisses


Right before leaving, I dropped my coffee on the carpet, and before I could even begin to collect my thoughts, Grant, with perfect comedic timing, said "ah oh." My mom, who was no help whatsoever during the spill and subsequent clean up, roared with laughter.

We then ventured out to the local convalescent hospital. My parents frequently visit the guests of this hospital because my parents have a beautifully tender place in their hearts for the forgotten and the lonely. It's a real model of authentic service, and I have never been so proud of two people in my life. My parents are models to me, and their love for other people is both contagious and convicting.

Grant and I visit from time to time, and let me tell you, YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN PEOPLE SO EXCITED TO TOUCH A BABY IN YOUR WHOLE LIFE!! The ladies in the Alzheimer's ward were beside themselves. Grant, with just his little baby being, brought the ladies such joy. They fought (I thought it might come to blows) over who got to hold him, and I think one woman almost died right there (not kidding).

Grant with sweet Iona


My prayers for Grant often center around him growing up to have a heart for God and a heart to serve the people around him. Saturday morning with those ladies was--I hope--just one of the many times Grant will come to the aid of those who are lonely.

We ventured out again (after a nap) to Babies-R-Us (that place just makes me angry... but that's another post) to pick up some rubber/plastic pants for the boy wonder who can't seem to keep his business in his diapers. Nothing helps. And as I discovered this morning, the plastic pants don't help either. I need an industrialized sized diaper for evening wear... any thoughts? Next up on the trial board: a diaper and a pull up. Not kidding.

Off to Gymboree where Grant will, no doubt, kiss a baby too many.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can try double diapering him, but also some stores sell an extra insert you can place inside his diaper. It almost looks like a "pad" but for babies. Try googling it and see what you find...