Tuesday, September 30, 2008

potpourri

1. We're thankful that Bret made it home! Yeah! He had a great trip in China and Singapore, but we're REALLY, REALLY glad he's home. He told me within minutes of picking him up that he might have to go back in four weeks. I told him--that in the future--such unwelcomed declarations should be made after he has purchased me a great meal and a very large bucket glass of wine.

2. I almost had the backyard finished for Bret. For those of you who were not conscripted into service, I planted (in the new beds I dug with my father-in-law earlier in the summer): two trees, 22 bushes, and 6 plants. Plus, it's decked out with a turtle sandbox. Once the mulch is down, we'll take some pics.

3. I became worried yesterday that some of my blogs about Grant's veracious speech could be seen as boastful. So, I thought I'd clear that all up. First off, while I think Grant is bright, I don't think language is the only indicator of intelligence. I love the fact that he talks and shares his ideas; it's the cutest thing, but I have had many of my brightest students' parents tell me that their children didn't talk until 3 or 4. So, the reason I put all that stuff on the blog is really not to share it; that's just a by-product. I just want a record. I want to be able to tell Grant as much about his childhood as I can (adopted children tend to have a larger number of questions about childhood and the past than do biological children). So, that's it. I'd hope you guys would know me well enough to know that, but just in case, I wanted to set the record straight.

4. I have an issue with wait times at doctors' offices. I don't like waiting, but I REALLY don't like waiting when I have a 20 month old to entertain. Grant's wonderful pediatrician gets this issue. First off, there is a LARGE play area for kids (mind you, this is an adult medicine site too), but we've never really been able to use it because we've ever only had to wait 5 minutes or so. Then, once in the room, our top wait time: 5 minutes. Yesterday, for the second time, Grant I had a less than pleasurable experience at the ENT. First off, it was hot in the waiting room. I was visibly sweating, and that's not pretty. There was a box of blocks and a few books, but that's it. And then, to make it all worse, we had to wait FORTY minutes. If it were just me, I'd flip through a few People magazines and call it a day, but with an interested and explorative toddler, it aint so fun. Then, in the room, where Grant tried to put his Thomas the Tank Engine in every biohazard hole imaginable, we had to wait again... Here's the truth: if Grant's pediatrician (or any other medical professional we had to see with regularity) did this with frequency, we'd find a new place. I don't leave parents waiting in the lobby for 40 minutes. I don't leave students waiting in class for 40 minutes. Doctors' offices, you're on notice: if you can't figure out how to schedule your patients, I'll be happy to come and help. And it won't be pretty. Once the doctor came, the check-up exam lasted 2 minutes. I suggest a formula: I'll wait for however long my appointment ends up being... even times 2 or 3. Maybe even 5. But that's it. It can't be that hard: it just can't.

1 comment:

Alison said...

2)Great weather and great exercise! Woo Hoo!
3) You're just about the most humble person I know, so there was never an hint of thinking you were being boastful in anything but the Lord! He has blessed you with an amazing little boy that you are proud of and want to share him with others. He is blessed.
4)That used to happen to me at the midwife when I was pregnant with Barrett. I agree. Who keeps people waiting that long and stays in business?? It's just bad. We don't wait long at our pediatrician, either, although, there is no play area. It would be nice to have one.
Love you!