Friday, November 07, 2008

Banner Afternoon


Mama's had a bit of a stressful week without Daddy, so when Grant woke up this afternoon happy as could be, I made a rash decision. We changed and packed up in ten minutes, and we loaded into the minivan. After a long walk along the White River, we ended up going to the Indiana State Museum (I have a free Educator's pass, and Grant qualifies for the glorious "2 and under" free category).

The museum provided lots of space to run around, but except for the Woolly Mammoth and its remains and the old steam engine, Grant cared more about the elevator buttons and the other kids than he did the museum. You can't blame him; the entire third floor was an exhibit on the history of the Girl Scouts. There was a cool canoe, but on the whole, he couldn't care less about those green sashed do-gooders (well, except for those cookies that come each spring).

Then, just to exhaust him further, Grant and Mommy had a date at Chuck E Cheese. Yep, I said it. I paid my twenty bucks, got a salad and a pizza, and loaded up a cup of gold tokens. But, this is what I realized. Chuck E Cheese might be a parent's best friend. Had Bret been there, we could have had an entire uninterrupted conversation, as Grant ate pizza and watched that dancing mouse. He watched the kids, the TVs, and even danced in his high chair. He loved every single second of it. He didn't care if I talked to him, helped him eat or even looked his direction. I could have read several chapters of a book. See, you think it's going to be terrible, but truth be told, it'd be nice to have a conversation with my husband without having to draw a happy face, cut up apple slices, or pick up chunks of chow off the floor.

Grant LOVED the guy dressed up as Chuck E (is that right...? It just feels wrong), and he didn't need any tokens, as he just enjoyed climbing up into the cars and pretending to drive. There was one "game" (I say that hesitantly as there was no real way to win or even to compete, but it still gave you tickets) where Grant got to push a lever and watch a train go round and round for 35 seconds (it actually counts down for you like it's a pop-a-shot game). It doesn't do anything else, and there's no real point, but Grant loved it, and I guess that's all that matters.

We ended the evening with a quick run to Grandma's (NeNe in Grant speak) church to hang out with some people with special needs. Grant had a good time playng basketball, eating ice cream, and charming everybody. But now, thankfully, he's snoozing in bed, and Mama isn't far behind.

Some pics from our outing:
Cousin Kate bought him these supa' fly glasses a long, long time ago, but he's just started wearing them (as opposed to throwing them, biting them, or trying to bend them like a gumby doll).


Nothing says "a fun afternoon" like a wigwam.


Notice that both buttons have been pushed, and don't think that I haven't heard "is everything all right in there?" once or twice from INSIDE the elevator. "No, I am so sorry; my son just hit the alarm button."


I thought he was scary, but Grant seemed to love the large mouse. Can anyone say trip to DisneyWorld? There's an even friendlier mouse there, Daddy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAYAH! This made my week! He looks crazy cool in those stunna shades! I love you all and need to see my bald, yet oh so fly cousin grant asap!

Alison said...

Sarah walked up just as I was scrolling down through the Chuck-E-Cheese picture. She was all set for a night of bowling and pizza to celebrate her birthday tomorrow night. I think she just changed her mind and Chuck-E-Cheese is where we'll be celebrating! Can you take a cake in there??

side of fries said...

I know they sell cakes (which I am sure are overpriced and not nearly as good as homemade), but I think I saw another family bring in a cake. You might call. If you do go (and since you're a larger group), google chuck e cheese coupons. There are coupons on their website for tokens and such. Hope that helps. Give Sarah a big birthday kiss.

And... I'm not ignoring your email, I swear.